Tuesday, January 9, 2007

To Build a Sweater

Currently I'm toiling away on a sweater design. I design on the needles because I hate myself and love to waste my own time (apparently). This is particularly masochistic because I am not using a conventional sweater construction. I am working entirely on the bias, outward from a center mitre square. So far I have ripped back, frogged, re-knitted, knitted multiple samples, sewn together and re-sewn together pieces, counted stitches, rows, stars in the sky, till my hair is falling out. It is coming along, slowly and not-quite-as-surely-as-I-would-like. Right now I have most of the front done but as I was trying it on and admiring the front my sister came up behind me and uttered the most chilling words I have heard in a long time; "Ohhhh, that can't be right!". I turned around and realized my pseudo-calculations had failed me. Most knitters consider knitting to be an art, well... it's not. It's a science for me right now. The closest thing to science class I get these days is watching Good Eats with Alton Brown on the FoodNetwork (do you watch? well, you really should, but that's beside the point). I am now considering ripping out part or all of the back pieces right now.


No comments: