Monday, January 29, 2007

Mitten Bitchen and an overabundance of carrots

I'm back in Chicago starting another semester at SAIC. This is my first official Art Ed semester and it looks like I am going to be reading theories and case studies and writing lesson plans until the end of time. If I get 1 page read for every time I inhale I might stay on top of it. I just snuck away from the mountain of papers on my table to post on the ole' blogaroo. When I'm not reading Paulo Freire interviews I've been trying to get those fair isle mittens finished. They are mostly done but I am rather attached to the idea of them having a bi-color brioche stitch cuff. I knit the mitten parts first because I had left a really good article on Brioche Stitch (from InterweaveKnits Spring 2005) here at the room. I got the hang of the stitch and it looks fantastic... but brioche stitche is much wider than the fair isle mitten body. So, 35 cuff stitches and 52 body stitches is quite a gap to jump in just a row or two without looking to akward. Plus I keep trying to find a way to stitch them up semi-seamlessly while remaining really elastic. So far, not going terribly well. I've tried all sorts of things. Much ripping back, much experimenting. I will get it eventually. For now, I have handknit gloves already so my hands aren't TOO cold (though the mittens will be warmer).
By the way, I also accidently ordered 5 pounds of carrots and I live by myself. I get my groceries through Peapod. If anyone wants to come over for some tea and carrots you're welcome to. Also, any vegan recipes involving carrots are greatly appreciated. I have no idea what to do with them all.

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

The past two Sundays I have made a batch of Carrot Ginger Soup. I'll send you the recipe so you can see if you are interested in trying it.

therese english perdue said...

hi emelia!... neat mittens!!!... i hope they are working out for you, if not, at least you have some carrot snackies!... maybe you could knit with the carrots(how vegan is that!!)... well i can't wait to see them! hope you're having a nice weekend!!!.. see you monday!

Anonymous said...

Every weekend i used to visit this web site, because i want enjoyment, since this this web
site conations in fact fastidious funny stuff too.



Look at my homepage cheap health insurance plans