Saturday, September 1, 2007

Stash Busting Weekend

Ok, so I'm all moved in to my new apartment. I'm so happy!! I have moved 6 times in the last 3 years and now I am where I plan to stay for AT LEAST the next 3 years, perhaps longer. As soon as I got my mother out of here my friend Katy and I decided to tackle a few home repairs. One of which was the closet light fixture that fell out of my ceiling. Well, after much fuse-box fumbling and such we connected what seemed like all the wires... except that elusive grounding wire.... Well, turns out that's kind of important. The was a Very. Big. Spark. Then all the power in my apartment blew. Fun. So yeah, turns out a BFA does not qualify us to be electricians.
Anyways, once everything was mostly unpacked and put away properly and I was all alone for a while I decided to spread all my stash and WIPS out in my living room and really take a good hard look at it. I put together good portion of my acrylics from when I was first starting out into a bag to donate. organized the rest by fiber type and such. Then I got to work finishing stuff. I mostly finished a Bobbi Bear with a common problem... I had knit the entire head and body and then run out of yarn. Not nearly enough to finish the arms. So... I stuffed it and knit most of each arm with a contrasting color, finished the tips of the arms off in the MC and then used the CC to knit a little sweater body for it... now its a pink bear wearing a little yellow sweater. this would have been perfect but I used up the very tail ends of the pink yarn on the "hands"... not enough for ears. So, she looks like a naked mole rat. I refuse to buy a whole nother ball of pink yarn just for the ears, so I'll have to think of something else...
After I hit the wall on the bear I moved on to a project I've been meaning to do for a long time. I am making a black ribbed earflap hat for my brother and then adding a neon rug-hooked mohawk. I am about halfway done with that too. Doing pretty well for just 24 hours.
The prayer shawl for grandma is all knitted up so now I'm just darning in ends forever and ever. I think I will also be adding a ribbed collar to it so it can be worn comfortably under a coat as it is pretty small for a shawl. I am still playing around with the design for the corresponding grandpa scarf. My camera is still out of commission so I'm afraid I can't show you any pictures... Maybe soon?

No comments: