Monday, September 10, 2007

Le Camera.... She is back!

Well, I had a strike of MaGuyver genius this weekend. The problem that was keeping my camera out of operation was a swollen dead battery. As the battery was a flat sided box I could not figure out how to grip it and pull it out. I tried pliers, unbent paper clips... all sorts of things. But this weekend I tried, of all things, good old duct tape. With a lot of shimmying, sticking and unsticking I coaxed out the battery and found that yes, it wa just old and swollen. Popped in a new one and Here we are!
So to start off I want to share with you the entryway to my brand new home. I love coming home to this. These are mostly stash yarns that I can't for the life of me figure out what to knit into but still love dearly. So, I put them on display, now they are not a waste!

Now, onto my stashbusting projects...
I ran out of yarn on this hat last winter and it was just barely grazing my ears. I had lots of people try it on to see who it would fit comfortably...and no cinderella. So, I pulled it out, added a contrasting seed stitch brim and Ta-Dah, a functioning hat. Into the X-mas pile with it!
Next up was another yarn shortage casualty. I had knit the body and head of this Bobbi Bear when I realized that I didn't have enough pink yarn left to make the arms. So... I found some of the same yarn in yellow in my stash and trimmed off as much pink yarn tails as possible. I knit the first 2 inches of each arm with yellow and used the pink tails to knit the tips or hands. Then I added the yellow sweater body. But Alas, no pink left for ears. Still trying to figure out what to do about that. When I figure out the ears I will also pick a something cool to put on the sweater.
Then I actually got started on (Dun Dun Duuhh....) X-mas Knitting!!! yes, it's September, yes, it's coming, yes, we need to think about it. This is a mohawk hat for my brother. Pretty self explanitory. I still need to add more green hair and then give it a haircut so the mohawk stands up better.
AND NOW.... The prayer shawl/scarf tandem project.
I'm using Dream In Color "Smooshy" sock yarn in Cloud Jungle for Grandpa's scarf. I'm still playing around with designs. I think I may switch over to a gator/muffler deal to get more warmth for the yardage.
This is a closeup shot of Grandma's shawl. It is all Koigu mitred squares, which by the way are much too addicting. I could make mitred squares forever. It looks like stained glass to me and I love it. I think I'm going to get a fancy silver shawl pin to go with it.
This is a wider shot of the same shawl. As you can tell, it's pretty small for a shawl but it is warm and comfy. I added the short row collar to make it stay up around the neck under grandma's coat. It makes more sense when you see it on a person. I will take a picture of her wearing it when I give it to her.

Anyways, see... I do still live in a visual world. Now I'm going back to homework, yet again. Try not to miss me!

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

Hi Emelia, It is good to see you are back blogging. I like how you have displayed your yarn. I keep toying with the idea but I think my girls would give me a hard time.